Putting together a resignation letter is an important part of leaving a job and it's important you pick the right style for your situation.
Take a look at these sample resignation letters and decide which is the best option for you. Then download it, adapt it, print it and hand it over to your boss.
Example resignation letter templates
- Resignation letter sample - detailed - If you've had a good experience with an employer you might want to provide a bit more of an explanation as to why you're leaving.
- Resignation letter sample - standard - Whenever you leave a job you're required to give a resignation letter to your employer, even if you've had a face to face discussion.
- Resignation letter sample - formal - If you don't feel like providing any form of explanation to your employer when resigning, it's possible to provide just the bare bones of information.
- Resignation letter sample - shorten notice - If you're moving jobs and your new employer wants you to start soon, it may be necessary to request a shorter notice than you have stipulated in your contract.
- Resignation letter sample - extend notice - Sometimes when you resign you feel the need to let your employer know of your intentions to leave before you're legally obliged to.
- Resignation letter sample - retirement - There are still a few formalities that you need to cover before thanking them for the good times and the lasting memories.